E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

You should contact the men`s divorce lawyers at Cordell-Cordell for more information or to consult with other divorced fathers in our children`s aid forum. U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh is embrothered in a custody dispute, in part because he made one of the biggest mistakes divorced fathers can make: he relied on a verbal agreement to change his child support orders. Scott Trout, managing partner and CEO of Cordell-Cordell, spoke in the man divorce podcast about how a former client had entered into a verbal agreement with his ex-spouse, a lower amount than indicated by the executive order, and had written evidence of the verbal agreement. Imagine an “informal agreement” with your child`s school. Forget notes; not to mention an average or class rank. Imagine an informal agreement with your child`s doctor. As the Virginia Bar Association describes, “a court will act in the best interests of the child, share custody at all times or change custody.” Since I began practicing law, the only advice I have given more than anyone has been to “receive in writing.” This is the best way to know if you are dealing with a lease (yes, people actually have oral leases, but it`s a completely different topic), sharing your property or deciding to make a visit plan for your children. Without a written agreement, whether in the form of a “contract” or an approval decision, it can be very difficult to impose the timetable you have if things go wrong. And if something goes wrong, you can only try to get a verbal agreement in a dispute – a process that takes time and is expensive. So I`m going to repeat my mantra to everyone who reads this article – get it in writing! Send family allowances for documentation to the court system.

Let your lawyer first write a legal document outlining the existing structure of child care. If this no longer works for your children`s mother, if she really needs more help, be prepared to remove her original position. Negotiate, but always negotiate to improve your children`s lives. A court will amend a child custody order when it is found that there is a significant change in the circumstances justifying a change in assistance. If the parties agree to change the amount of custody of the children, the Court of Justice is likely to confirm the agreement, but it is not required, without a significant change.


Comments are closed.